Tuesday, February 10, 2015

That Bible study

Several weeks ago I began doing a Bible study at a retirement/assisted living facility.  One of my parishioners lives there and she invited me to take over the time slot that had to be given up by another person.

I decided to begin with Matthew because I might as well start at the beginning.

The first few sessions were a little slow as they were getting to know me and I was getting used to using my outside voice inside.  They now know me and seem to enjoy having me there, and I think I've got the volume figured out.

Generally speaking, it's a good group.  But it also has "that guy" in it.  The group is dominated by women, and he's either one of two or one of one men who come.  I haven't figured out if he's intentionally difficult, if he wants to show off for the women, or if he's not all there.

When we talked about the baptism of Christ, he piped up:  "How did Matthew know about it if he wasn't there?  And why are we studying the writings of someone who wasn't there?  Shouldn't we be studying the word of God instead of the word of Matthew?"

When we got to the temptations, he said, "I can resist anything but temptation," and started to talk about why that was important, but I got to him first and redirected us back to where we needed to be.

And when I let the group know I wouldn't be in next week, he wanted to know if I had so little regard for scripture that I needed to take the day off.  When I pointed out that even Jesus occasionally took some time away from his busy schedule, and that God rested on the seventh day, he remarked, "Yes, but that was God."

I'm learning to redirect and cut short, politely of course.  I'm also making the prayer for patience part of my Monday routine.

1 comments:

Lady Anne | 9:04 PM, February 11, 2015  

At least he's probably sober. One of my former BILs used to get sloshed (once at his own son's wedding) and then argue religion with whatever clergy - or, in my case, clergy kid - within earshot. Never try to argue with a drunken Baptist.

First time comments will be moderated.