Thursday, August 28, 2014

Josh Gordon

The NFL has suspended Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon for the entire 2014 season for failing yet another drug test.

The reports I've heard have said that he had a drug problem in college and that the Browns knew about it when they drafted him in the supplemental draft.  The NFL runs on the premise that if talent is greater than the problems, the problems can be overlooked.  It would appear that Gordon's problems are now outweighing his talent.

As one NFL veteran has said, you need to screw up a whole lot before a suspension is handed down.

Whether or not you agree with the suspension, or with how the NFL handled it, I found Gordon's statement to be along the lines of, "Really??"

I'd like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans.  I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case.

You've got a drug problem.  You've been busted multiple times for using illegal drugs.  You continue to use illegal drugs while working for a company with a well-known drug testing policy, and you're upset that the NFL didn't exercise better discretion and judgment?

Methinks Josh Gordon should get a better handle on the meaning of discretion and judgment.

3 comments:

Lady Anne | 11:39 AM, August 28, 2014  

What was that again about motes and beams? He seemed to think he was above all of the rules and regs. Yes, breaking a drug habit is hard, but how many "second chances" do you get?

Reverend Ref + | 12:23 PM, August 28, 2014  

It's not the second chances that bother me; after all, "How many times must I forgive my brother?"

What bothers me is the, "I'm sorry I got caught," or, "It's just not right that the league should take this position against me."

Lady Anne | 10:37 AM, August 30, 2014  

I agree with your thoughts on the "I'm sorry I got caught" attitude. However, when it comes to drugs and domestic violence, "How many times must I forgive" becomes a bit trickier.

There is a congregation of Amish in South America (Nicaragua?)which is being plagued by several of their own members who climb onto porch tops and spray a chemical used to sedate cows into the bedrooms. This will leave a human unconscious for up to 48 hours. They then rob and rape and escape, leaving foot prints, hay and other barn yard material behind. The local bishops have forbidden the police to take action, as they feel these men must be forgiven. Somehow, I doubt this is exactly what Jesus had in mind.

First time comments will be moderated.