Monday, July 14, 2014

This has been surprising

So once we got into the Season after Pentecost, or Ordinary Time, the RCL kicked over into its two-track system.  Track 1 being the semi-continuous track where Year A (this year) generally runs through the major stories of Genesis and Exodus.

When we moved over to that format, I decided that I was going to preach on the Genesis readings.  It's been different for both me and the congregation.  It's been kind of fun.  It gives me more material on which to preach instead of trying to come up with yet another sermon on the parable of the sower.

However, something that has caught me by surprise is the number of people who have come up to me and said, "I've never heard that story before."

And remember, we're talking MAJOR stories here: the banishing of Ishmael, the binding of Isaac, Rebekah's nose ring, sibling rivalry between Jacob and Esau and others.  We aren't talking about the stories of King Amraphel, the covenant between Abraham and Abimelech at Beer-sheba, the sons of Keturah, or even of Rachel stealing her father's idols here.

On the one hand, I'm surprised that people aren't familiar with these stories.

On the other hand, it's probably a good thing I decided to preach Genesis.

It looks as if there's a lot of teaching yet to be done.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.