Thursday, April 10, 2014

Of Holy Week, Quiet Days and House Blessings

Next week is Holy Week, and, like always, it's both busy and wonderful all wrapped up into one.

My schedule includes the obvious (Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday x2, Holy Saturday, Easter Vigil and Easter Day) with a reaffirmation of ordination vows thrown in on Wednesday.

My incredibly awesome parish secretary has everything organized and ready to go for the week, so it will be as unstressful as possible.  This being my fourth Holy Week here, we've pretty much got this down now.

I don't preach on Palm Sunday; I let the Passion speak for itself and I allow almost a sermon-length period of silence after the reading for the congregation to sit with it.  That means that I have most of the prior week to work on other sermons and other things.  The number one thing I've been working on is a quiet day to be held in May for our D.O.K. chapter.  I know ... May is a long way off.  But if I get it done now while I actually have some spare office time, it will be a good thing.  I think I finished it.  I'll spend some time mulling it over between now and then, but the bulk of the work is done.

I also have a parishioner who is challenged in a variety of ways but has moved out from his guardians' home into his own apartment.  He would like a house blessing, and that is set for after Easter.  I need to get to work on the liturgy for that.

I need to make a hospital call today for a man who's been diagnosed with cancer, meet with the Usual Suspects about our joint Good Friday service, and carve out time to go visit the majority, if not all, of our shut-ins next week.

And we're off .....

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.