Saturday, April 19, 2014

Holy Saturday

Holy Saturday is the day we live in every day.

The crucifixion has happened.  Easter day and the resurrection are but the promise of tomorrow.  But today, Holy Saturday, is where we live.

Peter and other disciples went back to work, not knowing what else to do.  We get on with our lives, sometimes not knowing what else to do.

It was during this "getting on with our lives" period when this happened:

Mrs. Ref and I were doing our obligatory grocery shopping this afternoon.  We went shopping after the Holy Saturday service and after we had prepped the church for Easter.  So, like Peter, I was in my work clothes (i.e. wearing my collar). 

The checkout girl was doing her job and making small talk with us.  She looked at me and said, "Are you doing anything for Easter?"

I resisted the urge to say, "Are you serious??" and instead said, "Working."

"Yeah, me too."

It's Holy Saturday.  The crucifixion was yesterday.  The resurrection is but a promise of tomorrow.  And most people get on with their lives as if nothing was changed.

How do the events of yesterday and the promise of tomorrow shape your life?

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.